Rutgers and Indiana kickoff at 12:00 p.m. ET with the game airing live on the Big Ten Network. To get ready for the action or to check something during the game, click on our game day links post here. You can read my quick thoughts on the availability report as well.
This post is meant The Scarlet Faithful readers to come together and post comments below during the game. In addition, I will add in updates and commentary as the game unfolds in this post.
Thank you for reading my coverage of Rutgers football at The Scarlet Faithful and let’s go RU!
Rutgers vs. Indiana — live updates and more
- Obviously starting strong and avoiding any critical mistake early on are massively important in what should be a close game. Rutgers doesn’t want to give Indiana confidence or hope. Capitalizing on their mistakes is key to building momentum as well.
- The Indiana quarterback situation will be something to watch for. Also containing Jaylin Lucas, the best player on Indiana.
- Brendan Sorsby got the start at quarterback for Indiana, who starts with the ball.
- Sorsby throws a 35 yard touchdown on a 4th and 8 as Rutgers blew the coverage downfield. Indiana leads 7-0 less than four minutes into the game. Terrible start and second week in a row the defense allowed a touchdown on the game’s opening drive.
- Rutgers starts the same offensive line group as last week.
- LT Hollin Pierce
LG Bryan Felter
C Gus Zilinskas
RG Curtis Dunlap
RT Reggie Sutton
- They all played 60 or more snaps in the last game.
- Impressive response with the 15 play 75 yard TOUCHDOWN drive. Monangai and Wimsatt effective on the run.
- Tie game 7-7 late first quarter.
- Mo Toure gets a third down stop to force the Indiana punt.
- What play on special teams. Shaquan Loyal BLOCKS the Indiana punt and Eric Rogers recovers to run it in for a TOUCHDOWN!!! Rutgers leads Indiana 14-7 after the first play of the second quarter.
- A key trait of this Rutgers team is their ability to respond to adversity. Need to keep it going but what a great response following the opening drive of the game.
- Great point by Anthony Fucilli on the radio. He said Greg Schiano focused on the execution of the scoop & score off a blocked punt all offseason after Rutgers didn’t convert that play in the one point loss to Nebraska last season. It paid off today! Details, details, details.
- Rutgers doesn’t convert on 4th and short and Indiana is driving. Momentum shift.
- Indiana ties it up 14-14 as Sorsby runs it in for a touchdown. Rutgers has multiple starters who have walked off the field banged up. Key moment in the game with 2:50 left in the first half.
- Holy Moly Indiana’s Jaylin Lucas fumbles the punt and Rutgers gets the ball at the Indiana 20 with 20 seconds left in the half.
- Rutgers could only muster a 21 yard field goal by Jai Patel but take the lead at halftime 17-14 over Indiana.
At the Half
- A lack of creativity and rhythm on offense let the Hoosiers back into the game. Both teams have 143 total yards. RU TOP 19 min & gets the ball to begin second half.
- Wimsatt to Dremel for a HUGE 4th down conversion in Indiana territory.
- Gavin Wimsatt runs it in from the 1 yard line for the second time today as Rutgers leads Indiana 24-14 midway third quarter.
- Tremendous drive to open the second half 12 plays, 75 yards and took over six minutes off the clock.
- Flynn Appleby scooped the snap off the turf and delivered a 55 yard punt that took a “Korsakian bounce” per the great Chris Carlin.
- Gavin Wimsatt runs it 80 YARDS FOR A TOUCHDOWN as Rutgers leads Indiana 31-14 early fourth quarter. Wimsatt has 143 yards rushing in the game.
- What a play and dagger for the Hoosiers.
- Rutgers defense gets a fourth down stop as Indiana turns it over on downs with 11 minutes left in the game. Hoosiers have just 213 yards of total offense.
- The Scarlet Knights win the game 31-14 to clinch bowl eligibility for the first time in nine years.