There is no way around it. Rutgers football was outplayed, outcoached, outtoughed and outclassed on Saturday in a 22-0 loss at Iowa.
The Hawkeyes outgained RU 402-127.
Five false start penalties.
Disappointing play calling.
The list goes on. On a day a fan base hoped this team could take another step forward, it wasn’t even close.
Listen and watch my reaction to the loss and below is my live commentary game summary.
- Iowa starts with the ball.
- On the opening possession of the game, Iowa misses a 47 yard field goal attempt. Big stop for the Rutgers defense.
- JaQuae Jackson is helped off the field after taking a big hit from Cooper Dejean.
- Two costly false start penalties on third down for Rutgers in Iowa territory results in a punt at midfield.
- Flynn Appleby with a good punt that pins Iowa on their own 4 yard line.
- Iowa punts it back and Al Shadee-Salaam saves the day in recovering a loose ball.
- Gavin Wimsatt with a perfect throw to Ian Strong to convert on third down to overcome a third false start penalty. Rutgers in Iowa territory once again.
- Rutgers punts to open the second quarter as Iowa starts on their own 19 yard line.
- Rutgers commits its fourth false start penalty of the game on a punt attempt. Appleby into the wind punts it to the Iowa 49 yard line. Scoreless game with nine minutes left in the half. Big test for the RU D coming.
- Deion Jennings with a huge tackle for loss on third down forces Iowa to kick in the red zone. A 32 yard field goal from Stevens gives Iowa a 3-0 lead over Rutgers with under 3 minutes left in the first half.
- Max Melton with a monster INTERCEPTION inside the Rutgers 10 yard line.
- Iowa leads 3-0 at the half.
At The Half
- At the half
- Total Yards
- First Downs
- Gavin Wimsatt 5-8 for 75 yards.
- Rutgers gets the ball to start the second half.
- A fifth false start penalty, this time on 4th and 1 inside Iowa territory, forces a punt instead. Rutgers unable to sustain drives with these mistakes.
- Rutgers defense picks the worst time to allow its first 40+yard play of the season. They’ve still done their part. Offensive play calling needs to open up on next possession no matter how this drive finishes.
- Iowa kicks a 43 yard field goal to extend its lead to 6-0 late third quarter. Credit the Rutgers defense for bending but not breaking. Time for the offense to reward them.
- We head to the fourth quarter with Iowa leading 6-0 and driving in Rutgers territory. The Hawkeyes smell blood. Kirk Ciarrocca needs to empty the playbook in the fourth quarter.
- Iowa scores a touchdown but fails to convert the two point conversion. Hawkeyes lead 12-0.
- Gavin Wimsatt misses a snap on third down but falls on it. Another punt.
- It fell apart resulting in a 22-0 loss.
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts. For advertising inquiries or to reach out directly, email at email@example.com