Rutgers and Northwestern will kick off at noon with the game airing live on CBS. To get ready for the action or to check something during the game, click on our game day links post here.
This post is meant The Scarlet Faithful readers to come together and post comments below during the game. In addition, I will add in tweets, updates and commentary as the game unfolds in this post.
Thank you for reading my coverage of Rutgers football at The Scarlet Faithful and let’s go RU!
Rutgers vs. Northwestern — live updates and more
- With the availability news for running backs Aaron Young (out) and Samuel Brown (questionable), a run heavy game plan for Rutgers will lean on Kyle Monangai and Al Shadee-Salaam.
- FCS transfer Naseim Brantley is also listed as out. Look for true freshman Ian Strong to be a focal point in the passing attack.
- Gavin Wimsatt to Ian Strong for a TOUCHDOWN on a drive that went 6:56 to start the game with Rutgers leading Northwesywrn 7-0. Great 4th down conversion at midfield. Good start for the RU offense!
- Northwestern crossed midfield on their first drive but the Rutgers defense forced a punt. Offense will take over with 6:38 remaining in the first period.
- Rutgers ends the first quarter just inside the Northwestern 25 yard line. The offense was 3 for 3 on fourth down conversions in the opening frame.
- Gavin Wimsatt dives into the end zone for a TOUCHDOWN to complete an impressive 16 play, 80 yard drive. Rutgers LEADS Northwestern 14-0 early second quarter!
- Northwestern completes a pass on a fake punt but is one yard short for turnover on downs. Great stop by Rutgers as they have a prime opportunity to score on a third straight drive to open the game. Carnell Davis with the tackle on the play. RU takes over on the NW 45 yard line.
- Jai Patel converts the first field goal of his Rutgers career from 32 yards and Rutgers LEADS Northwestern 17-0 midway second quarter.
- Tyreem Powell hunts down QB Ben Bryant and forced a bad throw that’s intercepted by Max Melton at the Northwestern 30 yard line. 1:16 left in first half. Huge opportunity.
- Jai Patel hits the right cross bar to miss on a 38 yard field goal attempt. The first missed opportunity of the game for Rutgers, who leads Northwestern 17-0 at the half!
At The Half
- Rutgers leads Northwestern 17-0. RU has outgained the Wildcats 183-117 and had the ball for 21:44 of the first half. Gavin Wimsatt was 11 of 21 for 112 yards and a touchdown, along with 20 yards rushing and a score. The Scarlet Knights are 8 of 14 on third/fourth down conversions along with a 14-5 edge in first downs. Great start!
- The offensive line has represented well. Ian Strong looks legit. Wimsatt has been poised. Defense has been solid.
- The Rutgers defense has done a great job of keeping Northwestern QB Ben Bryant off balance and uncomfortable so far. Big three and out to start the second half.
- After a Rutgers punt, a great third down safety blitz call as Shaquan Loyal ends the Northwestern drive with a sack. RU LEADS the Wildcats 17-0 with 9:19 left in the third quarter and take over on their own 40 yard line.
- Kyle Monangai with a 20 yard reception and a 15 yard TOUCHDOWN RUN on a critical drive to give Rutgers a 24-0 LEAD over Northwestern. 4:05 to play in third quarter.
- Flynn Appleby’s first three punts an average of 39.7 yards with a long of 43 and two inside the 20. Solid, which is all Rutgers needs from the Aussie tasked with replacing GOAT Adam Korsak.
- Robert Longerbeam intercepts Northwestern QB Ben Bryant for the second takeaway for the defense in the game.
- Kenny Fletcher and Mohamed Toure each had sacks late in the game.
- Rashad Rochelle fumbled a punt return that gave Northwestern the ball back in Rutgers territory.
- The turnover cost RU as Brendan Sullivan threw a 1 yard touchdown with 19 seconds left in the game
- Rutgers starts the season 1-0 with a 24-7 victory!
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts. For advertising inquiries or to reach out directly, email at email@example.com