Rutgers and Temple will kick off at 7:30 p.m. with the game airing live on the Big Ten Network. To get ready for the action or to check something during the game, click on our game day links post here. You can read my quick thoughts on the availability report as well.
This post is meant The Scarlet Faithful readers to come together and post comments below during the game. In addition, I will add in tweets, updates and commentary as the game unfolds in this post.
Thank you for reading my coverage of Rutgers football at The Scarlet Faithful and let’s go RU!
Rutgers vs. Temple — live updates and more
- With the availability news that Samuel Brown is not listed, he is primed to make his season debut. Chris Long is out as is Naseim Brantley. Both Aaron Young and Wesley Bailey are listed as questionable.
- Look for Ian Strong and JaQuae Jackson to be featured in the passing attack.
- As I said in my Friday podcast on keys to victory, I’m looking at how Rutgers comes out of the gate with energy and how physical they are. This is a game they need to impose their will early and often.
- Temple has just 22 total yards on its first two drives as the Rutgers defense has started strong once again.
- On the first drive, Rutgers was into the Temple red zone before Isaiah Washington fumbled on the 10 yard line. It was the first offensive turnover of the season.
- Christian Dremel left injured after a big hit on an incompletion.
- On the second drive, Gavin Wimsatt ran 17 yards for a first down followed by a 33 yard touchdown pass to running back Ja’Shon Benjamin. Rutgers leads Temple 7-0 late first quarter.
- Wimsatt is off to a great start completing 5 of 7 passes for 71 yards and a score while rushing for 22 yards on 2 carries.
- Rutgers dominating through one quarter but need to finish this third drive with some points as they lead Temple 7-0. RU outgained the Owls 148-26 in the opening frame.
- Jai Patel kicks a 51 yard field goal to give Rutgers a 10-0 lead. Great response from Patel after going 1-2 last week in his debut.
- Rutgers defense has held Temple to only 56 total yards and just 3 first downs on its first four offensive possessions.
- Both of Rutgers’ starting tackles, Hollin Pierce and Tyler Needham, are on the ground being looked at and appear to be in significant pain. NOT GOOD!
- Jai Patel connects from 43 yards as Rutgers leads Temple 13-0 with just over seven minutes left in the first half.
- RU outgaining Temple 219-56 so far. Still would like more points at this point but strong start just the same.
- Pierce is back out there. Needham was carted into the locker room.
At The Half
- Rutgers leads Temple 13-0 at the half.
- Wimsatt 8-14, 142 yards, TD plus 21 yards rushing on 4 carries.
- Ja’shon Benjamin 4 rushes for 33 yards and a 33 yard touchdown reception.
- Ja’Quae Jackson 3 catches 77 yards.
- Desmond Igbinosun 4 tackles, 1 sack
- Jai Patel 2-2 FG (51, 43)
- Defense has held Temple to just 18 yards rushing on 1.6 yards per carry.
- Rutgers almost had a fumble recovery but the play was ruled forward progress and no review was allowed.
- Big goal line stand for Rutgers to hold Temple scoreless midway third quarter leading 13-0.
- Clutch 55 yard punt by Flynn Appleby to the Temple 39 after booting it from his own end zone.
- Third quarter ends with Rutgers leading 13-0 but Temple in the red zone at the 9 yard line.
- EJ Warner to Dante Wright for a 9 yard touchdown. Rutgers leads Temple 13-7 with 14:51 to play. No life from the offense in the second half. Would like to see that change.
- 57 yards on 6 straight rushes from Kyle Monangai ends with a much needed TOUCHDOWN! Came after Rutgers finally threw it down the field 18 yard pass Wimsatt to Jackson. Went for 2 and failed.
- Rutgers 19 Temple 7 with 11:48 to play.
- Shaquan Loyal with a case of deja vu as he catches the deflection for an INTERCEPTION and returns it 37 yards to the Temple 10. Sweep the leg time.
- Jai Patel 3 for 3 on the night with the chip shot from 23 yards out. Still another chance for the offense to come away with more and didn’t happen.
- Rutgers 22 Temple 7 with 9:57 left to play in the game.
- Sam Brown scores a TOUCHDOWN from 1 yard out after he made a 27 yard reception to signal his return back to the field for RU.
- Rutgers 29 Temple 7 with 5:37 to play.
- Jordan Thompson with the INTERCEPTION!
- Al Shadee-Salaam scores in his first action of the season. Great response after Temple made it a one score game early fourth quarter. Rutgers has scored 23 unanswered points to lead 36-7 with just over 2 minutes left.
- Rutgers WINS 36-7!
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts. For advertising inquiries or to reach out directly, email at email@example.com