Podcast: Day After Thoughts Following Rutgers’ Loss to Michigan
Welcome to episode No. 54 of The Scarlet Faithful podcast. This episode focuses on the current state of Rutgers men’s basketball following Thursday night’s loss to Michigan. I talk through the disappointing performance and how things need to change moving forward in order to get back on track.
There are plenty of reasons to be concerned about how this team has played of late. RU has now lost 4 of 5 games since Mawot Mag was declared out for the season with a torn ACL injury. The defense has suffered at times and offensively, the Scarlet Knights have regressed.
I do believe that this team can improve in their offensive approach as well as reset their team mentality and confidence overall.
Rutgers trending in the wrong direction both in the Big Ten standings and NCAA Tournament projections. Topics include the offensive struggles and how to turn things around, the statistics highlighting the loss of Mawot Mag, the lack of confidence the team is playing with, why the fan base needs to pull it together and much more.
Thanks so much for listening and/or watching the latest episode of The Scarlet Faithful podcast.
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts. For advertising inquiries or to reach out directly, email at email@example.com
February 25, 2023 at 2:57 am
As always, thanks for all of the great content. The video and audio pieces are always great for the ride home from work. Here are some takeaways:
1) I can honestly say that this is not a second guess. I love Pikiell but for the life of me I will never understand why up 13-3 with MI on the ropes would he take out Cliff. Somehow Dickinson was able to play 35 minutes so why so quick to rest Cliff? It made zero sense in the moment and absolutely changed the game.
2) PM is an enigma. The same guy who practically carried RU in the final stages of the MSU game has scored a total of 31 points in the last five games on 13-31 from the floor (42%), and 3-12 from the charity stripe. Not coincidentally the team is 1 and 4 in that stretch.
3) The flawed roster construction continues to cost the team. I’ve said it a million times but the fact that there is not a backup for Cliff is really challenging. In your video reaction you noted how Woolfork came in and gave them something. I respectfully disagree. He came in, literally pushed Dickinson because he had zero chance of actually defending him, played 3 minutes and then went back to the bench. In conference play he has 8 points and 5 rebounds…Total. Again, if Woolfork and Reiber were being counted on to backup Cliff then that was a big mistake.
4) Fans only have the right to boo, in my opinion, when the guys don’t give an effort. I don’t think that was the case last night. I do think that they played really tight and blew their chance early. They shouldn’t have been jeered.
5) Aaron, I hope that you didn’t give Aundre the old “Sports Illustrated Jinx.” His second air ball looked to miss the rim by feet and not inches. He had a very odd game.
6) Why bother yourself with the trolls on Twitter? They obvious aren’t knowledgeable fans and likely not even fans of RU. They post obnoxiously for the sake of getting a response. So, why let them get what they want?