Rutgers beats Northwestern 65-62: Watch Highlights, Presser & more
Rutgers men’s basketball withstood a 19-6 run by Northwestern down the stretch to close out the game on a 7-0 run to earn a 65-62 victory. Cam Spencer was the hero once again as he hit the game winning three-pointer with 15 seconds to play. For my game recap, click here.
“Give a lot of credit to Northwestern, that’s a great team,” head coach Steve Pikiell said. “We knew this would be a grind. We made some big plays down the stretch. Cam teed it up, and then to have him on the line there, he’s a great free throw shooter. He’s a worker, he’s in the gym. He does a lot of things for us. Everyone has to chip in, it’s a team game. I’m really happy with the team tonight. Great college basketball game. We had enough in the tank on the road to get a well-earned win against a really good basketball team.”
Here are game highlights, the postgame presser for Northwestern, my rapid reaction video and the full Rutgers box score. The Pikiell postgame call has not posted yet but I will add once it is.
Cam’s Game Winning Shot
Cam Spencer. Game-Winner. Again. pic.twitter.com/35IDdrpXwU
— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) January 12, 2023
Locker Room Celebration
Killa Cam 🔥💪💪💪💪#TheKnighthood🛡⚔️ pic.twitter.com/Pj8bfGf4Yr
— Rutgers Men’s Basketball 🏀 (@RutgersMBB) January 12, 2023
AB’s Rapid Reaction
Rutgers Full Box Score
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts. For advertising inquiries or to reach out directly, email at email@example.com
January 12, 2023 at 12:46 pm
Nice shout-out to Aaron and SF by Cory Probus on BTN last night…Congrats!
January 12, 2023 at 1:33 pm
It seems so unusual for ESPN or BTN to say positive things that it took me a few seconds to process that they the announcer was complimenting the analytics and writing of Aaron. I knew our free throw shooting was improved but I had no idea we’re on track to have the best percentage of made free throws in 50 years. That is an amazing improvement and a wonderful catch by an astute student of RU sports. Nice job Aaron!
Any announcement about the possibility of making Sunday a black out? Anything we can do to make the arena as hostile as possible for the rematch with OSU seems worth doing.
January 12, 2023 at 6:04 pm
I’m going to avoid my tendency to nit pic this team’s performance. A win on the road is always big and Spencer was a big difference maker once again. Aaron covered the details here and in his rapid reaction. So here’s my musical selection for the team’s performance against Northwestern,,,
January 13, 2023 at 3:12 am
What a wild game. A few random takeaways:
1) The officials called the second half completely differently than the first half. I don’t think that RU had more than one foul against them in the opening ten minutes of the game. Any nit pick call that they could make in the second half…they did.
2) I thought that NW played a relatively strong defensive game so it was incredibly odd that they would leave Spencer that open.
3) Great trap and hustle to get the jump ball on the ensuing NW possession. Then a great inbounds pass to find Cam, who killed about two seconds, before getting fouled.
4) Cliff seems very out of sorts on offense. Unless he’s dunking he seems very hesitant.
5) While Hyatt doesn’t make a ton of baskets, they all seem big.
6) Is Woolfork injured?
7) It’s a crazy league. OSU lost at home tonight to Minnesota at OSU.