Rutgers looks to make statement in rematch against Purdue
Welcome to Quarterfinals Friday! Rutgers came through in the clutch on Thursday with a dominant defensive performance that resulted in a double digit victory over Michigan. The Scarlet Knights now have a tremendous opportunity in playing No. 1 seed Purdue on Friday. The game airs at noon ET on the Big Ten Network.
The best win that RU has this season came at Mackey Arena when they took down then No. 1 Purdue. Here is my recap and reaction video from the first meeting on January 2nd in which Rutgers won 65-64.
In the essence of time, I recorded my keys to victory in detail for a game preview, which you can listen to below. Here are bullet points of those keys.
- Keep Zach Edey away from the rim as much as possible.
- Defend him similarly to how they guarded Hunter Dickinson in the second half.
- Take your chances on Purdue shooting threes and prioritize Edey.
- Make Edey defend in space outside the paint and move Cliff Omoruyi around.
- Pressure freshman guards Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer.
- Defensive intensity and defending without fouling.
- Hold their own on the glass
- Limit turnovers while looking to score off of them in transition.
- Run offense through the guards, not Cliff.
- Need hit mid-range jumpers with Purdue drop coverage.
- Aundre Hyatt the x-factor.
- NCAA Tournament chances improved but by how much?
- Purdue is a huge opportunity to make a statement.
Here is my preview covering the topics mentioned above in more detail. Thanks for reading and listening.
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts.
March 10, 2023 at 1:26 pm
It will be interesting to see if we start with the same defensive tactics, we used in the second half against Dickenson to contain Edey. The guy is a monster. He’s going to score. I think we need to make sure we don’t give up stupid fouls trying to stop him. If we hold him to 14-16 I think we’ll have a shot.
Hyatt as the x-factor. Maybe Palmquist, too. I like it. We need a monster games from Omoruyi and Spencer, though or we’re DOA. Simpson alone won’t be able to lead the offense. Purdue is not PSU.
My wife is such a kill joy. I found a 7.45AM direct flight to Chicago, checked availability of game tickets (they are abundant and cheap) and a return this evening. Out and back for the price of one of her pairs of shoes but nooo. We have guests arriving this afternoon and staying until Monday evening. She at least agreed I could have my own personal tailgate pre-game starting with an omelet brunch and mimosas. I’m excited for the RU team. A win capped by McConnell breaking Jordan’s record would be a nice way to start the weekend and the mimosas will put me in the right frame of mind for extended guests.
March 10, 2023 at 4:02 pm
Don’t divorce your wife over this. However, if this continues…….
March 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Amen to that. It would cost me a lot more than a pair of shoes.