Welcome to Quarterfinals Friday! Rutgers came through in the clutch on Thursday with a dominant defensive performance that resulted in a double digit victory over Michigan. The Scarlet Knights now have a tremendous opportunity in playing No. 1 seed Purdue on Friday. The game airs at noon ET on the Big Ten Network.
The best win that RU has this season came at Mackey Arena when they took down then No. 1 Purdue. Here is my recap and reaction video from the first meeting on January 2nd in which Rutgers won 65-64.
In the essence of time, I recorded my keys to victory in detail for a game preview, which you can listen to below. Here are bullet points of those keys.
- Keep Zach Edey away from the rim as much as possible.
- Defend him similarly to how they guarded Hunter Dickinson in the second half.
- Take your chances on Purdue shooting threes and prioritize Edey.
- Make Edey defend in space outside the paint and move Cliff Omoruyi around.
- Pressure freshman guards Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer.
- Defensive intensity and defending without fouling.
- Hold their own on the glass
- Limit turnovers while looking to score off of them in transition.
- Run offense through the guards, not Cliff.
- Need hit mid-range jumpers with Purdue drop coverage.
- Aundre Hyatt the x-factor.
- NCAA Tournament chances improved but by how much?
- Purdue is a huge opportunity to make a statement.
Here is my preview covering the topics mentioned above in more detail. Thanks for reading and listening.
Thanks for reading the The Scarlet Faithful. For more Rutgers Athletics content from The Scarlet Faithful, follow us on Twitter and Instagram. You can also subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe to The Scarlet Faithful podcast on Apple, Spotify, Pocket Casts and anywhere else you listen to podcasts.